Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It felt really, really close to a normal day . . .

Today was my second day enlisting the services of a babysitter. It's fantastic. It permitted me to take a run that was a bit excessive . . .



. . . and it permitted me to get to band practice this evening. We worked pretty heavily on a real guilty pleasure piece of music, "MacArthur Park." There's nothing subtle about that song.

The kids and I made our second trip to the library this summer. Sam has already burned through a Diary of a Wimpy Kid volume, so we had to pick up another. Also, Caroline likes to pick out a book and read it through right there in the library. I also picked up a literary classic to read to the kids, How to Eat Fried Worms, and The Curious Garden, the book inspiring us to go to New York tomorrow with some friends.

We had a brief pool visit today (cut short by thunderstorms). But my son declared it the greatest 15-minute trip to the pool ever. Perhaps that's because he ran into two girls from school at the pool. Funny, he didn't bother much with Caroline and I after finding them.

After the pool we spent a bit of time reading books while petting dogs, and then playing with said dogs, at my brother's house.


The kids and I also finished a film, Hook. The kids enjoyed it, despite the clumsy story telling and slightly over-burdened plot line. It makes me realize we need to borrow the classic book from the library and read it as it was meant to be read. Unfortunately, Peter Pan was checked out.

Final note: we still haven't eaten dinner at home since Sherry left. Our neighbor invited us over for roast beast tonight. It's been a blessing. Sure, it's easier not having to make and clean up from a dinner. Moreover, dinner is when I'm likely to miss Sherry the most, so it's easier sharing a meal with someone else. Gets our mind off the woman we love on the other side of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment