Thursday, March 1, 2018

10

My daughter turns ten today.

Caroline and I have a relationship in which teasing plays a big part. A canon of dumb tales will indicate why she's permitted 242 guests at her wedding, why she always gets served a butter knife at dinner, and why I can use the number 6 as a threat that will stop her in her tracks.

There are also some reasons why I cannot ever brush her hair, why I wear purple on Thursdays, and why, today, I didn't wear purple (or the contacts I'm trying to get used to).

The teasing has led to a long roster of nicknames over the years: Kabiddle (Biddler), Tulip, HRH, Emmeline Pankhurst.

As a gift though, I've decided to get her something money cannot buy. I'm going to tease her older brother, an individual who could use some help in learning how to be teased.

Here's the setup.

On the night of the Eagles' Superbowl vicotry I got a really good selfie with Caroline. I love it. Her smile can light up a room, and I love how this photo catches it in all its crookedness (Did you know we've started orthodonture?). So I gave this photo the ultimate compliment: I made it the lock screen on my phone!


It didn't take too long for the oldest child to notice this and, as the oldest child is wont to do, to demand justice.

Sam: How come Caroline is on your lockscreen? 

Me: It's a great photo? 

Sam: Why am I not on the lockscreen? 

Me: You want me to kick her off? 

Sam: No, no. I'm not saying that. 

*pause

Sam: But you should put me on the homescreen. 

Hmmm.

I think I found a solution.


See, there he is. On the left. And there she is, with her great smile. Like she snuck into the photograph. I wonder when Sam will notice.

Happy birthday, Caroline.

No comments:

Post a Comment