Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas 2018 . . . A Year in Review


For those curious, here is a letter we sent with Christmas cards recapping 2018.

December 2018

Friends,

Caroline and her Gram, New Years Day.

It would appear from our card that a trip to Hawaii was a big highlight of 2018 for us. That is correct. When 2018 began, a trip there wasn’t really on our radar. However, I was invited to be part of a program there called Memorializing the Fallen and as part of that I had the honor of eulogizing a Korean War veteran buried there. Sherry and I decided to take this invitation as evidence we were meant to travel to Hawaii this year. It was a wonderful vacation. Over the course of two weeks following my work with the program, we visited Oahu, the Big Island, and Maui. We’ll cherish the memories of that vacation for a long time.


Hawaii wasn’t our only adventure in 2018, though. We also made our first ever trip to the Southwest, taking advantage of a wedding invitation to explore a part of the country we had never seen. We celebrated the wedding of a dear longtime friend, Brian, and saw some amazing sites, including a National Monument (Bandelier) that had been on my bucket list for some time. Slightly less exotic was a trip to Promised Land State Park and some sightseeing to corners of Philadelphia we hadn’t yet uncovered.

I was acting like a kid at Bandelier National Monument.
Oh, and Sherry and I checked off one more box on our list of presidential homes visited. We saw Teddy Roosevelt’s Sagamore Hill in March. It was splendid! The only one I’ve seen that I liked better was FDR’s at Hyde Park. Oh, and in January I decided Minnesota would be a good place to visit, allowing me to experience a new version of cold while enjoying the warm hospitality of friends. Oh, and Sherry got back to Toronto.

Something is a bit wrong. So we take our kids with us to Hawaii and to a wedding in New Mexico but we leave them behind for a Presidential home? 

I actually entered this into a photo contest. It's from Hickory Run State Park. A friend is showing off his winning rock skipping form. 

Work has been quite satisfying for me. I’m back to teaching U.S. History after a few years away from it specializing in the dismal science. The research I’ve had the chance to do in 2017, 2018, and now in 2019 (more on that in next year’s letter) has inspired me to teach about aspects of our past that I previously overlooked. There’s something special about being engaged once more in research about World War II, which was my first love in history. Also, I’m thrilled to connect with teachers from around the country who are becoming friends. They’re a wonderful complement to colleagues and friends I’ve found working at C.B. East. I’m now in my 13th year there (21st year teaching!) and finding the classroom just as exciting as ever.

There’s been a lot of music at our house this year. I’m playing the trombone quite regularly with the Montgomery County Concert Band. Sherry is playing the flute as more than ever. Caroline, Sam, and I sing a lot at church. Caroline is playing viola and finding great joy in dance. We bought Sam his first violin this year and it’s a big piece of his life at middle school.

Caroline during a photo shoot at her dance studio.
Sam trying out violins at David Michie's in Philadelphia. 

Sadly we had to say goodbye to my grandmother this year who passed away at age 90. I’m grateful, though, for the chance I had to say goodbye to her and the opportunity my family had to gather for her 90th birthday back in August. It was wonderful to see the whole brood, four generations gathered in one place at one time.

With Gram, our matriarch, celebrating her 90th birthday.

We laughed, though, at the company of friends, the silly antics of younger nieces and nephews, the ups and downs of life with preteens. Lansdale has been our home now for more than fifteen years and we’ve come to really love this old town. I’m grateful for the friends we have here and the wonderful sounds that come from this neighborhood.

We welcomed a cat into our household late in 2017. Over the course of this year he has worked his way into our family. Mischievous, playful, arrogant, affectionate . . . really all one could ask for in a pet.

Alex F. Johnson

Oh, and there was that Superbowl victory, and a baseball season that stayed relevant until August, and trips to minor league sporting venues . . . The year was very good to us.

Watching the NFC Championship. 
From a fun trip to see the Fightin' Phils. Sam got his photo with each mascot who was there.

I close hoping this letter finds you well and enjoying the break that the holidays can provide. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment