Monday, June 25, 2018

The Expensive Summer

Seriously, the weather is this nice for my first week of summer? 
So, let's see how much I spent on my first day of summer.

Well, there was the bike repair. That was only about $5 because Sam's tune-up was done where we bought Sam's bike. They just charged us for the part that needed to be put back on.

Then there was the $1 coffee I bought while waiting for Caroline to be done strings camp.

Did I say strings camp? That's right. That was about $150 a kid. I think. It's been a while since I charged that card.

Oh, and Caroline had a second camp today: cooking camp. That's another $150 . . . I think.

But then came the big ticket item. I won't tell you how much, but I will acknowledge that it was greater than the camps and less than a new car.

Sam with the winner. 

Trying out one of the eight possible choices. 

The contenders. 

Sam and his teacher outside the shop with his new violin. 
A special but expensive day. I'm a brass player, and ordered the trombone I still use through my dad via mail order in 1989. There was no trying them out. It was, well, as simple as filling out a form for a Bach Stradivarius 36 with F attachment.

However, being the dad writing the check today, I'm struck again at the generosity of my dad entrusting me with an instrument when I was 13, an instrument I still use weekly. I hope we're so lucky with Sam.

Violin shopping was a different experience. It's more upscale than trombone shopping. That being said, it's not snobby. Our experience at David Michie was very pleasant. They were welcoming, prepared, and gave us the space to make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment